Clumps of dog hair....um....everywhere!
An extra body in the kitchen when I'm cooking.
"Let me in!" barks, five seconds after he "asked" to go out.
I sat down to type this list thinking it would be LONG. Everything I've thought of aside from those three, just makes me chuckle now. Toenails on the tile, snoring (Clay did a perfect imitation last night when we were talking about how quiet it is without him). Funny how grief totally changes your perspective. I even did Clay's chore on Monday (vacuuming the downstairs) just because I wanted to be the one to pick up those last clumps of dog hair. I hated the dog hair prior to Sunday afternoon. Really, the only part of owning a dog that I didn't like was the hair. Now, I even miss that.
Yesterday, I was full of grief. I mean, it floored me. Felt suffocated at times. I don't think I've ever been so sad in my life. It was so hard to go through our normal day without him. Every time I sat here or did that, I'd think, "Boomer would be laying there" or "doing such and such." I pondered how trivial losing a dog must seem to people who never had one; maybe even some who have. The only explanation I've come up with was that he was just that much a part of our family. Today, I feel measurably better. I miss him like crazy still. Like.crazy....but feel like I can breathe again.
Ronnie and I have reminisced a ton over the last couple days about all the crazy, funny, awful, sweet, infuriating, precious things he did in our 12 1/2 years together. Looked at lots of pictures. It's been sweet. And really hard.
Things I know I'll miss....
Hearing Elena say "Baba" when he walked by.
Petting my dog, especially while he snored away.
Being greeted every morning with his "feed me" shenanigans.
Coming home anytime after 6:00 pm (his dinner time) and being greeted with his "feed me" shenanigans.
Seeing how happy he was everyday when Ronnie walked in from work.
Remembering our favorite friends (who were also Boom's favorite friends) and how he always lost his mind when they came by....even if it had been years in between visits. Tony and Grace, thinking of you!
I still haven't been able to dump his water bowl out. I keep telling myself I need to. Water in the bowl is waiting for a dog and he's not coming back. Thought I could do it tonight, but I still can't. We've cleaned up/out a couple things and I packed away a couple things I'm not ready to part with yet. All in due time, I suppose.
One more thing I know I'll miss....
Clumps of dog hair....everywhere!

No comments:
Post a Comment