Hawkins Family

Hawkins Family

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Home Musings and A Recap

Hmmm....gosh....where to start.  My blogging has only gotten worse.  Personally, I blame Facebook.  I can't do both.  Just can't seem to swing it.  So...I either blog, which some people enjoy or I FB, which some other people enjoy.  Forget both.  And I totally love and hate FB at the exact same time.  It is a great way to keep up with people, but somehow it does seem to get addictive.  I hate even the thought of being addicted to anything.  I think my aim then, my personal goal, is to blog more and FB less, but neither exclusively.

I've missed blogging two of my kids' birthdays this spring.  The birthday blog used to be sacred.  Gotta make that up, but to me, it feels insignificant, having missed the day.  Sorry Clay and Elena.  I think I'm gonna still do your posts, but they'll be way late.  Sorry babes.

So we've lived here nine months tomorrow.  Ronnie and I have talked this week about how it still doesn't feel like home.  I'm not sure of the reasons.  I can guess, but who knows?  Seven years in one place is a long time, especially when you grew to love it.  So then to start over?  Hard.  And maybe doomed to failure?  I know it's been nice to see family more often living here.  And my parents are moving next week and turning 70 this summer....big transitions....nice to be close by for the big moments.  But the day-to-day grind still feels like that....a grind.  We like our house, but it hasn't taken on a "homey" feel for us.  (Probably has something to do with the not user-friendly landlords we have.)  Ronnie thinks no place may feel like home again until we've lived there longer than we lived in Vegas.  I kinda hope not since I don't see us staying in one place that long again (until retirement).  I'm sorta just thinking that God does amazing work in the desert.  Where it's hot and dry and you're thirsty....He shows up in powerful ways.  We experienced huge spiritual growth in our lives while there.  Maybe that's why the lush climate of Tidewater VA just can't compare.  (We also had three babies there, amazing, supportive friends [non-military for the first time], a church we deeply loved, and ministries we were invested in.)

But....I also think it takes a considerable amount of time to even sort of like a place.  I mean, I hated....excuse me....HATED.....Vegas the first year we lived there.  I don't hate it here.  It just doesn't feel like home and I've called VA home since I was 8 years old.  So maybe, for me, nine months just isn't long enough.  Only time will tell.  I confess, I'm curious how things will look in the rear view.

In another news....the boys have been exhausting to parent for the last couple weeks....for different reasons. Gaby is very particular and always walking on the verge of drama.  Is it really possible that a two year-old is the most stable child being in the house??  Yes, it's possible.


The puppy was neutered yesterday and I started a serious three month plan to drop the extra pounds I've been carrying for far too long.  Oh, and 10 days of school left.

I think you're all caught up now.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment