I've been working really hard to reduce my stress level. That, in and of itself, sounds funny. It's weird how the things you think make sense, and then you write them down and they seem to take on a whole different meaning. I mean, working hard to reduce stress?? But it's true. And it's working for me. Little changes on the outside have lead to big changes on the inside. I want to remember these things because I'm sure I'll need a refresher someday (probably sooner rather than later, knowing myself.)
Funny....we're so stubborn. All these things, every.single.one, is already in God's design. And yet....it wasn't 'til life was completely stressing me out and I was having what has been diagnosed as ocular migraines that I did anything about it. Ugh. I am my own worst enemy.
So my "destress" prescription:
* Pray first thing upon waking in the morning. I am always so tired in the morning. No matter how well or long I slept during the night, I never want to get out of bed. And if I'm awakened by kids who woke too early, it gets really ugly in my head and I start jumping to all sorts of conclusions about what kind of day it will be. (Most of them don't come true as you can imagine!) So I've been praying about my attitude first thing in the morning and it has done wonders. Still not a lot of pep in my step, but my attitude is so much better.
* Concern myself only with what needs to get done today. I can worry so well! But it is futile and spikes the stress meter. So I look at my calendar and take care of only those things that must get done today. Some days that means planning for things later in the week, but certainly, not everything must be done today. That whole scripture "Don't worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will have enough troubles of its own....," yeah, it's true. This has probably been my biggest change and the one I'm feeling the greatest effects from.
* Exercise. Video at home, jogging, swimming at the Y, whatever, do something most days of the week. Good for the body and the mind. (And Gaby's really cute imitating Jillian Michaels! Just a side benefit!)
* Say "no" sometimes, probably more often than you say "yes." We have taken the whole month off of all our extracurriculars. Everything. We truly are not an over scheduled/over committed family, but we intentionally did not participate in anything this month (even the things we love), and it felt so good. Ronnie and I have gone on three dates this month, we've spent a lot more time together as a family doing fun things, and more one-on-one time with each of the boys. It's been sweet and cathartic. I feel ready to start the flag football season tomorrow with Ronnie as coach. I don't think I could have/would have said that at the end of September.
* Remember the Sabbath to keep it holy. Sabbath=rest=good for everyone in the house. Everyone. I am not busier than God. I am not too busy to obey His commands. Oh, and it might just be good for me too.
* Remember, it's OK to rest during the week too. In fact, do it as often as you can.
That's pretty much it. I know, not rocket science. All God-designed. Clearly, it takes me a while! Thankfully, He's very patient!
Had a bit of a stressful afternoon/evening yesterday and continued into this morning and it's funny how quickly those migraines start firing. I had to be very intentional about slowing down, taking things off my agenda since T was unexpectedly staying home from school this morning. But....I was able to regroup without getting worried and salty and keep "the main thing the main thing." Mothering (parenting) well is intentional.
I could write some more, but it would probably just been further rambling at this point, and all three kiddos at home are quiet, so I am going to go REST!
I have tons of cute pictures of my favorite people that I haven't made time to upload lately. I hope to share them soon. :)
you are a phenomenal mom, for sure-
ReplyDeletelove you-