Hawkins Family

Hawkins Family

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

On a Different Note

I decided when I began this blog that I was going to highlight our family's adventures here. I've missed some highs already and I don't usually talk about the lows. This is not an attempt to paint a picture of perfection in our household, I'm just not really comfortable putting everything out there for whomever may read this. I have chosen to talk, e-mail, call folks when I need their support and encouragement. Not right or wrong, just how I am.

But here's a confession. (The plan is that this will be therapeutic for me.) This last year, beginning in December of last year, has been the hardest of my life. And it wasn't the addition of a third child that brought this on. Gaby's arrival notched things up to an all-new level of busy, but not bad. I went through a personal devastation at the hands of someone I'm close to that sent my world spinning. I had a spiritual high during that first month, understanding things I never probably would have otherwise. (Like really getting that Jesus died to redeem us all. All the junk in our life. Nothing is beyond God. Nothing is beyond the cleansing blood of Jesus.) I knew that in my head, but don't think I'd been able to really process that in my heart. But most of the months that followed, have been the lowest for me emotionally and spiritually in my whole life. And every time I saw a glimmer of light and took one step forward, I felt like I was knocked back another 50. Not just the usual, one step forward, two back; but way, way back. Very hard, very draining. Exhausting. Frustrating. Confusing. Hard.

I've been reading a book called The Land Between. It's great and very much where I'm at and have been for the last year. I was able to sort of set my goal after reading the first couple chapters; to come out of this a better version of me. That's still my goal and I hope it always will be.

As I've gone through this, I have found myself wondering at times, am I under a spiritual attack or am I just complaining? Discontent with the pain, the disappointment, the feeling of being stuck. Am I rejecting God's will in my life by complaining? Ronnie has been a voice of reason and true love and help as I've walked through this darkness. (Like usual!) We've had some awesome conversations that have brought clarity to my head and heart. Last week, I was just beginning to see the tiniest glimmer of light. My heart felt a touch lighter. A tiny bit of relief from the heaviness. I was beginning to feel grateful; a little excited, a little bit more alive.

Then, on Saturday, I received an e-mail from a friend. This person has been a friend of mine for 15 years. This e-mail seemed to almost fall from the sky. I didn't expect this note at all. It said that I had dropped our friendship. That time and distance and busyness was no excuse for my behavior. "I just don't know what happened to you," she wrote. Wow. It really hurt. Felt like I was punched in the gut. Didn't see this coming at all. I immediately started questioning myself. Am I that person she described? I didn't feel like that person, but maybe. What about her responsibilities to the friendship? Deep down, I knew that what she said, that person she described, was not me.

Friendships do change with time and distance. Does that mean they need to end? Of course not. But I can't maintain a friendship with someone in the same way that I did in college when I didn't have a husband or children or a key role in a church ministry and the responsibilities that go with all of them. I did mess something up with her. I'm big enough to confess that and I apologized for it a while back. It appears my apology was not accepted and I don't know what else I can do.

Why tell all this? Well, that night was a crucial night for me. I think it was the culminating place where God's been leading me through all of this for the past year. He wants me to rest completely sure in my identity as a child of God. Believe what He says about me. And He says, "I am His child." (John 1:12). "I am free forever from condemnation." (Romans 8:1-2). "I can find grace and mercy in time of need." (Hebrews 4:16). "I am His workmanship." (Eph. 2:10)....To name just a very few. I am often tempted to believe what others' say about me. I'm tempted even more to believe the awful lies that Satan continually whispers to me. This is definitely an area of struggle for me. This for me, is another "head" issue. I get it intellectually, but I have a hard time transitioning it to my heart. I can even believe it about you, but I struggle to believe it for myself.

But I think that e-mail flipped a switch for me. I told her the truth in love and apologized for what I needed to. But I need not let this hurt or others inflicted upon me determine my identity. If God doesn't label me as such, then I must not let this become the reality on which I base my value. To do so, is to reject God. More specifically, it's to reject Jesus' work on the cross. He died to give me life.

The dark wilderness has been hard. HARD. But that's where God meets us to perform His greatest works. I don't think I'm out yet, but I'm pretty sure He's carrying me the distance.

6 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing your heart. love you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carey. Needed that. Love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm grateful you can separate what that person said from reality.
    I'm sorry she did this, whoever she is. One of the ways I think we grow up is realizing that we are all different, lead different lives, hand ourselves over to others in ways that are different to our friends, and we need to value acceptance more than we value selfishness. We need to value others more than self. We need to love our neighbor as ourself, as this is a way that we love God.

    I am sorry that someone demanded something of you that your current life has not been crafted to give. thank you for the way you love your husband, the way you love your three kids and the one on the way, the way you have pioneered work, school, kids, marriage and serving as a military wife in a most turbulent time. And thank you for how you have worked to give to others, love others, balance long-distance families and moves and setting up new homes and new friends and new neighbors.

    Sometimes others don't understand what it's like to start over so many times, or balance kids and old friends and new friends and long-distance beloved family as you do things as simple but time-consuming as learning your new grocery store, where you hang your keys, which day is trash day and how you drive in another country.

    You've worked hard these last 10 years, Carrie, and I applaud you. You are a genuine, beautiful human being, and the fact that you responded as you did is a testament to your beauty.

    I'm sorry last year was so hard.

    Thank you for choosing to be so incredibly, genuinely beautiful amidst all that you've had on your plate. Beauty eminates from you, and I love you for it.

    Grace and peace be with you-
    R

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been trying all day to figure out the best way to say what I want to say, but your friend R said it way better than I was going to!

    I think the ones who love us best understand that friendship has to change as life changes. Demanding that things stay the same over time, distance, and the busy-ness that is the life of a military wife with 3 (and a half!) children...well, that's just awfully self-centered.

    I have always been so grateful to call you a friend, but never more so than over this last year. You are the only friend who truly got me, who never really asked why we needed to adopt two babes from halfway across the world. Everyone was supportive, but you...you seemed to understand my heart from the moment you first heard the plan. That you could give me that during your hardest year ever shows how amazing you are.

    Wishing--yet again--that we lived closer. Love you bunches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and i have come multiple times to respond...and don't know what to say. except thanks for sharing your heart. and it's just encouraging to hear someone else seek Him through the dark days. i KNOW it's not easy...especially with a busy family...but you ARE and you are doing it WELL! thanks for who you are. you've been sUCH a source of encouragement to me this past year...God is using you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much to all you beautiful girls for your encouragement. How you brightened my spirit. It was cathartic to write, but it sort of brought the dark to the forefront all week. Thanks for being dear, dear friends....always.

    ReplyDelete