My camera or the computer (or both) are being finicky and they won't let me download my photos, so I'll have to get those up later, but Clayton started 2nd grade on Monday at his new school!
I drove him to school on the first day and Gaby and I walked him in. (Ronnie had to take Thomas to preschool in the opposite direction.) He jumped right in like he'd been there for years. Put his backpack down, went to play with kids he didn't even know (he does have one friend from his Pre-K and K days), and then when the bell rang, he lined up, did the pledge, 30 seconds of silence, announcements and headed off with his teacher and classmates to his room. I, of course, followed him to his room and peeked through the window as they got their first day started. He gave his teacher the couple papers I needed him to, put on his glasses, and just fit right in to a totally new place and routine. It was really neat to see and definitely made me realize how much he's grown and is growing up.
In the afternoon, he took the bus home. We let him choose. I was prepared to pick him up, but he really wanted to ride the bus. I was very, (OK--VERY!) nervous about it! He's never ridden a bus before and really, I was nervous about the lack of supervision and what can go on on a bus. We had some really good open, honest conversations about our concerns and after confessing my fear to him, (didn't mean to, it just kind of slipped out), he looked at me and said, "Mommy, I'm not scared." So I felt to not let him do it when he was ready, would be holding him back and then would be for me, not him. And it sure was fun to be waiting at the bus stop that first day and see him pull up, beaming and waving.
So what have I learned so far? That Clayton is way more capable and adaptable than I had previously ever seen or even thought. That he has more self-confidence than I've ever seen in him before. And that, that whole thing about helping your kids spread their wings; well, it's true. It's not always easy, but I don't think these beautiful qualities that I've seen flourish in him in just the past couple days would be there. At least, they'd probably be hidden somewhere, instead of blossoming the way the are. It really is quite a thing to see.
No comments:
Post a Comment